Newport Girls' High School

Atrium view


We understand that the decision to remain in education post-16 can involve consideration of financial support in the home. To support with this, students may be eligible for a bursary payment to support with paying for academic trips, textbooks, or travel to and from school.

A student may be able to get a bursary if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • you’re in or you recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you’re financially supporting yourself
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit

If none of the above apply, they may still be eligible for a discretionary bursary. If, for example, the family’s household income is low and paying for travel to school, textbooks or trips is becoming difficult then they can apply to be considered for a discretionary bursary.

Students should see Mrs Davenport in the pastoral office to discuss further. They will need to complete a bursary application form, which can be done after speaking with Mrs Davenport.

Further information can also be found at

Our Bursary Policy is below.